When getting into your deer stand you want a set of good and secure steps. So don’t mess around, spend the money on getting the best.
When looking for climbing steps consider the following; easy to handle and install, lightweight, secure when locked down, quite when climbing, good foot placement, ease of foot placement, and good foot/toe to tree distance.
From my 30+ years of hunting experience and using just about every type of climbing step/stick/ladder, here is what I have found and experienced;
1. Screw in type steps can damage the tree and snap off during extreme cold weather.
2. Sticks can be noisy and give poor foot/toe to tree distance, especially for the first step or two and where the tree is crooked.
3. Ladder or one piece sticks do not work well for crooked trees or working around limbs. Can also make noise when climbing.
4. Rails are great, but the straight across foot rail give you a little false since of security.
5. The best are Rails with a bow-out step, great for foot placement, extra room from toe to tree, great since of security when climbing. Just the best all around.
See the Top Deer Stands for 2022!